Upcoming Cloud Features
This post explains what the Abraquest Cloud System is, including upcoming features.
This year, we are working hard to move Abraquest over to a cloud based architecture so we can give our customers the option of using the cloud. What does this mean? In the latter part of this year we will have a number of new announcements for Abraquest announcing optional features, just one of which will be running the Abraquest system in the cloud rather than on your local PC.
Why would you want to do this?
- The cloud allows your library and pupil history data to be shared with other users throughout the school and potentially with parents (as new features are added).
- The cloud allows you to anonymously view reports of what other pupils are reading in your local area and what others schools have that you don't in terms of your book catalogue.
- The cloud offers security to your data. If your Abraquest PC fails, you don't lose any information stored (you are backing it up aren't you??).
- The cloud also allows us to create new add-ons that further extend the capabilities of Abraquest. One example of this is Abraquest on-line - which is a book database containing over 2.5 million books that is available now and saves time when adding new books into Abraquest.
- Upgrading to the cloud will be optional and free of charge for Abraquest Software Assurance customers, but there will be a hosting fee that is paid monthly or annually to pay for the cloud storage. Non Abraquest Software Assurance customers will pay a small fee - TBD but less than £100 + VAT.
Is the cloud safe to use? There are two things to think about - read only / anonymous data - such as Abraquest online (used when adding books), and storing your data about books and pupil histories in the cloud. We will always making clear which option applies whenever you consider an Abraquest product so if you decide you don't want pupil data in your (private) cloud, then it won't be allowed in the software you purchase.
We use the Microsoft Azure cloud system, which cost Microsoft upwards of $10 billion to develop. Your data is backed up in that system in more than one place, and we will also offer downloads of that data via our website at any time so you can take local copies when we hold customer data in the cloud. Further information can be found at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/TrustCenter/CloudServices/Azure. If you have any specific questions please contact us.
Please note: We are not discontinuing the on-premise system; we will continue to support it just as we have over the past 20 years and customers can continue using it safe in the knowledge that it will continue to be developed further and supported for the next 20 years (!)
We will make further announcements about new features via this blog later in the year.
Download the 30 day Trial
30 day trial versions of Abraquest now available. No need to re-enter data if you decide to buy. See for yourself with no obligation!