Philip Johnson has been a software developer for over 33 years and has been involved with Abraquest since 2005. He is the director of Spherical Software Limited (www.sphericalsoftware.com), the company that owns Abraquest.
Next Release of Abraquest
The next release of Abraquest 220.127.116.11 is nearly upon us. This post offers a sneak preview of the final version of Unattended Issue/Returns, and details of what is coming up.
This release has taken a little longer than planned and I think its fair to say, has been a bigger job than originally intended.
- First and foremost, we wanted to do a good job on Unattended Issue/Returns, so customers have a useful option that children can use when teacher is not in the room. This is not for everyone, and if disabled, the first Abraquest screen you see is the same as it always has been.
- Issue and Returns - the logic and some of the messages that come out, has been totally rewritten and improved.
- You can upload your school logo and show this instead of the Abraquest logo on all pages.
- A new report showing Pupil Reading History.
- The ability to cater for holidays - i.e. not marking a book as late if the school is closed, you have the ability to specify if books should come back before or after the holiday in question.
- Improvements to Year End to make it easier to understand.
- Finally, as part of a upgrade to the graphics used, the Smiley and sad faces that Abraquest has been known for are gone - replaced by two different faces (one of these is shown in the image at the top of this page).
Of course this includes updates to the documentation, PDF and online.
If you are using Unattended Issue/Returns, there are comprehensive methods to help you organise the barcodes for identification, and you can control which options are enabled.
Assuming all options are enabled, this is what the pupil sees when logging in:
As related, the messages that come out of Issue/Returns have been improved. They slide up from the bottom of the screen for 10 seconds, or until the mouse is clicked.
Initially the new messages are in Unattended Issue/Returns and also Issue/Returns when teacher is logged in, I think we will use them elsewhere in Abraquest provided customer feedback isn't bad (whats not to like?).
When will it be here?
This release should be out by the end of August.
There is probably one more reasonably sized release this year, while we ready a couple of complimentary products for Abraquest later in the year. Watch this space!
If you require further information in the meantime please contact us using one of the usual means.