Philip Johnson has been a software developer for over 36 years and has been involved with Abraquest since 2004/2005. He is the director of Spherical Software Limited (www.sphericalsoftware.com), the company that owns Abraquest.
Important: Abraquest 184.108.40.206 Installation Instructions
This post contains important notes for all customers who are installing your first install from before Abraquest 220.127.116.11. For example if you are on 18.104.22.168 and the current version is 22.214.171.124).
Please read before trying to update as it could save you time as there are a few additional steps.
We are very sorry for the extra steps this time around we have a policy of continuous improvement and its necessary improvements and we have worked all summer on this to make it as simple as we can.
Install and Re-Enter your Licence key using following procedure:
Some schools have had problems having to re-enter the licence key from time to time. We think we have got this problem solved now, but it does mean all users installing this version of Abraquest will have to re-enter the licence key just one more time after installing this release. If you do not have yours handy, please contact us before starting or email support.
- Do a backup of your database.
- Before you upgrade Abraquest, please login as sysadmin1 into the old system go to the licencing menu and uninstall the licence key. If you don't do this you will have to contact us for a new licence key.
- Uninstall Abraquest using Control Panel.
- Download from https://www.abraquest.co.uk/downloads/AbraquestSetup_2955exe.zip, unzipping and running the setup program contained inside. It will not overwrite the current database installed on the PC.
- If it says .NET Framework 4.6.2. is not installed, please refer to the section below then install Abraquest again.
- Enter your licence key when it asks for it.
Install .NET 4.6.2. if required (usually if not on Windows 10)
Abraquest 126.96.36.199 is the first version of Abraquest that runs on .NET Framework 4.6.2 instead of .NET Framework 4. So if you try to install Abraquest and it gives you a message saying Framework is not installed, you can continue using the old version but you must install .NET Framework 4.6.2 to get 188.8.131.52 working. IT can install this from this link, and then you can install Abraquest again.
It is usually a good idea to reboot after installing something like this.
If you get the message that you must call IT when you try to get to control panel you can re-enter your licence key again and continue as normal while waiting for IT.
If you get the you must install .NET 4.6.2. You can download it from https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/thank-you/net462. Install this and then install Abraquest again as outlined above. If you continue to have problems please contact us by emailing support or telephoning.
Any other problems please email support, telephone or contact us via our contact form.
Network ports for Abraquest
Finally, while we have your attention, please inform IT of the following and ask them to check, this won't stop you from installing Abraquest but its best if they can check the next time they are available, item number 5 is a new requirement with this release:
Open ports for Abraquest software:
- https://online.abraquest.co.uk (port 443)
- https://abraquestcustomerbackup.blob.core.windows.net (port 443) (for Abraquest Automated Backup)
- smtp.sendgrid.com (port 587)
- auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk (port 587)
- NEW: https://api/elmah.io (port 443) - this is our error logging system
- Finally, https://www.abraquest.co.uk (port 443) - this is used by the automatic updates system within Abraquest.
Please review your options in Base Data -> Configuration Options, because this release will have turned off options that are not commonly required. Its easy just to review and turn them back on again if needed without any further impact on your system.
As usual if you do have any questions or issues please contact us or email support as per usual.
I would just like to offer my apologies for this email and the small amount of extra work required. I hope the benefits to you of continous updates outweigh this extra effort.